Friday 16 August 2013

more on 'make' and 'do'...

Following on from the post:
Jay Doubleyou: using bbc learning english - vocab pt 2
some more stuff on these two difficult verbs...

Here's a discussion:
to do an effort vs to make an effort - WordReference Forums
> I'm doing my best = I can't do any better! = I doing as much as I can
> I'm making an effort = I'm trying really hard = to put more energy in

And another forum:
"take a decision" vs. "make a decision"
> I think one is American, the other British...

I don't particularly like this English-German dictionary as students always chose the definition at the top. But it has an excellent forum for discussion - if you just scroll down to the bottom:
English - German Forums - leo.org - English missing: to "make" or to "do" a trip?

There are useful lists too:
To make a decision - synonyms or related words for To make a decision - Macmillan Dictionary and Thesaurus

A good dictionary will give you plenty of examples:
enquiry - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

But it's not just dictionaries and lists: you can actually use this language in real conversations.
Or not:
Avoid the "What Do You Do?" Question to Keep Small Talk Intersting
.
.
.

No comments: