Sunday 20 June 2021

fast fashion no longer fashionable

From Serina Sandhuthe writing in the i-newspaper from two years ago:

Whenever I received pocket money as a teenager, I would challenge myself to see how many new things I could buy with £40. I had the nose of a bloodhound for sales and savings, coming home with bags full of gems. In retrospect, they were bags full of crap but it didn’t matter, because it was all new crap. 

In the last year I have shortened a dress which never suited me at its original length and hung in my wardrobe for a shamefully long time, unworn. I had it done professionally, which of course cost more than threading a needle myself, but the dress hasn’t gone to waste. It’s just like having something new.

Why I'm turning my back on fast fashion

From the same writer this weekend:

“During the lockdown periods, people couldn’t actually get rid of anything,” says Dr Tracy Cassidy, a reader in fashion and textiles at the University of Huddersfield.“The charity shops were closed, the local tips were closed. I think it was a bit of a wake-up call in how much we’re actually throwing away. People have been aware of sustainability for a long time but not blaming themselves for being part of that [throwaway culture]… so I think that’s starting to change.”

Dr Cassidy believes we are now “waking up”. “Everybody has been re-evaluating their lives throughout these past 12 months.”

A grassroots movement is also encouraging shoppers to treat their purchases with respect by repairing and updating the items, rather than replacing them. As reported in i, craftivist Suzi Warren organised 14 UK-wide street stitching events this week, with 26 people turning up at Bromley High Street in London to demonstrate how to fix old fashion.

Fast fashion is a trend that could be on its way out as shoppers seek sustainability after Covid pandemic


File: Sonderausstellung Fast Fashion 5.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Fast fashion - Wikipedia

Sustainable fashion - Wikipedia

Slow fashion - Wikipedia

Environmental impact of fashion - Wikipedia

.

.

No comments: