Thursday 31 January 2019

'I have met many people who earn way more than £30,000 and have literally no discernible skills, not even one.'

The government wants to allow people into the UK who have 'skills' - and the way you measure this is by how much money you earn:
Brexit news: EU migrants must earn £30,000 to enter UK in major CRACKDOWN on immigration | UK | News | Express.co.uk

The problem is that some people who earn little have a lot of skills:
I’m a care worker. The £30k immigration rule would decimate the sector | Karolina Gerlich | Opinion | The Guardian

Is this 'meritocracy'?
Jay Doubleyou: meritocracy

From today's Guardian:

Jess Phillips : I've met high earners with 'literally no discernible skills'





Labour MP Jess Phillips takes aim at politicians considering imposing a £30,000 pay threshold for EU workers to be considered skilled, saying: 'I have met many people who earn way more than £30,000 and have literally no discernible skills, not even one.' The MP for Birmingham Yardley says the post-Brexit immigration proposal was 'insulting' to the care workers, nurses and teachers who live in her electorate. 'I have definitely met some very rich people who earn huge amounts of money  who I wouldn’t let hold my pint if I had to go and vote while in the bar,' she says.

Jess Phillips : I've met high earners with 'literally no discernible skills' - YouTube
Jess Phillips : I've met high earners with 'literally no discernible skills' | Politics | The Guardian
.
.
.

No comments: