Monday 11 December 2017

making it memorable

Marliee Sprenger has looked at how the memory works when we try to learn something:
Educational Leadership:How the Brain Learns:Memory Lane Is a Two-Way Street
Strolling Down Memory Lanes: Memory and Storage Systems

And she suggests there are five 'memory lanes':
Memory_Lanes.pdf

Here are five nice little videos:

Taking Information to Long-term Memory


The brain has lanes that act as file cabinets storing information, skills, and facts from learning experiences.

The information is filtered, interpreted and stored in various parts of the brain using these lanes.

It has at least five of these lanes that can be used for long-term memory; automatic, emotional, episodic, procedural and semantic.

We will investigate each of these lanes and give practical techniques on how to use and integrate these lanes into your teaching to help students take information to long-term memory. 


CONNECTING LEARNING ASSURES SUCCESSFUL STUDENTS

Teacher Ana Leiguarda wrote a piece for the English Teaching Professional magazine:
Making it memorable - ETp

With a presentation here which takes us through the five lanes:
making it memorable - special didactics by Nerea Villarruel on Prezi

Finally, it's actually a very practical way to deal with everyday and work situations:

Making Meaningful Meeting Memories: Using The Five Memory Lanes

Have you ever lost your keys? Your wallet? Your cell phone? Your favorite pen?
I have. Well, I didn’t really lose them. I just forgot where I put them.
I have a ritual of walking into my house and always placing my keys, wallet, favorite pen and cell phone in the same spot. That way I always know where they are.
But every now and then, they aren’t where they are supposed to be. They seem to have vanished.
I’ve noticed that if I walk into my home and my hands are full, I may unintentionally put them down along with the other items in my hands. Or if my mind is distracted with something important and I neglect to follow my usual routine, I’ll put my keys and wallet in an obscure place. Or if my phone rings as I enter the house, I get distracted and set them down.
So what do I do when I’ve lost my keys? I’ve already tried using my automatic memory (see below for more info). I failed my automatic memory by not following my regular routine of placing them in the same spot.
Maybe my episodic memory will work. I go back to where I last remember having my keys, wallet and cell phone in my hand. That location may help me remember.
Or I try retracing my steps by using my procedural memory. I pick up anything I had with me, go out to my car and start over. I walk the same path again hoping that helps me find them.
As a last resort, I may access my semantic memory and use my higher order thinking skills. “What could I have done with my keys? Did I drop them by accident? Are they in the grass, on my porch, in my mailbox? If I were a set of keys, where would I be?”
I may become rather emotional if I can’t find my keys, wallet and cell phone although my emotional memory won’t help much in finding them. But, we all recall the emotional experience of losing our wallet and trying to find it, right? That emotional highjack triggered by our amygdala is hard to forget.
This scenario illustrates how our five long-term memory lanes can be used to recall information. The challenge for conference and meeting organizers is to design event and education that access these five memory lanes to increase learning and retention.
...
Making Meaningful Meeting Memories: Using The Five Memory Lanes - Velvet Chainsaw
Improving The Annual Meeting Experience By Strolling Down [Semantic] Memory Lane - Velvet Chainsaw
.
.
.

No comments: