Monday 3 August 2015

ambiguity is everywhere in englsh

There is a lot that is not clear in the English language:

Words have different meanings:
Jay Doubleyou: why is english so different from other languages? part one: vocab

The grammar doesn't make much sense:
Jay Doubleyou: why is english so different from other languages? part two: grammar

Newspaper headlines can be impossible to understand:
Jay Doubleyou: ambiguous newspaper headlines
And:
Syntactic Ambiguity - Definition and Examples

English literature, poetry, art and cinema is full of double-meaning:
Jay Doubleyou: ambiguity

There's also double-meaning in politics:
Jay Doubleyou: ambiguity in politics - hong kong
Jay Doubleyou: ambiguity in politics - part two

This is ambiguity:
ambiguity Meaning, definition in Cambridge English Dictionary
Ambiguity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back to the ambiguities in the English language:
Jay Doubleyou: pragmatics: it ain't what you say it's the way that you say it

But perhaps it's just human nature:
RSA Animate - Language as a Window into Human Nature - YouTube
RSA - RSA Animate - Language as a Window into Human Nature
.
.
.

5 comments:

web lol said...

joooJ!

Milan Otawa said...

I simply must tell you that you have written an excellent and unique article that I really enjoyed reading. I’m fascinated by how well you laid out your material and presented your views. Thank you.

Jeremy Woodward said...

Thank you, Milan, for your kind comment!
A lot of the stuff I post here is for my own lessons - but I'm very glad if I can help others!

Website development services said...

I simply must tell you that you have written an excellent and unique article that I really enjoyed reading. I’m fascinated by how well you laid out your material and presented your views. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

hey, im lucy.