Tuesday 4 June 2013

teaching culture

How do you teach culture in the ESL/EFL classroom?
Hello everyone, my name is Carmen. I teach EFL in Spain. I was born in Canada of Spanish parents. When we moved to Spain it was a real shock to me. Even though I knew a little Spanish, it wasn't the limited language skills that were a real problem, it was the shock of the new culture. Since then, I have been researching language and culture. I would be very interested in sharing experiences with people who have suffered this sort of situation and how and what they do in their classes and whether or not they find that language without culture is like a cloudy day when you keep hoping for that ray of sunshine to hit you and warm you up!
ARRY TOMALIN -CULTURAL ACTIVITY 14 - DO A CULTURE QUIZ
One of the three 'legs' of culture is 'cultural knowledge.', basic information about the culture of the country you are studying. The others are values and behaviour.
Here's a great idea for introducing/practising  cultural knowledge...
.
.
.

No comments: